Edition: English | 中文简体 | 中文繁体 Монгол
Homepage > World Video

Congo gov't blames militia for Brazzaville attack

CCTV.com

04-05-2016 13:10 BJT

In the Republic of Congo, former members of a militia that fought President Denis Sassou Nguesso in a 1997 civil war, have attacked and set alight military, police and local government offices.

Thierry Moungalla is the Minister of Posts and Telecommunications. He says Monday's assault by former so-called "Ninja" militiamen has been contained. The attackers were once loyal to the father of a losing candidate in last month's presidential election. Moungalla says the government is investigating possible links with opposition candidates.

"This morning at least 6 armed men attacked an area near Brazzaville. A couple of security agents, soldiers and police live in that Makelekele district area. The security agents, including the army which also arrived on the scene, fired at the armed men and eventually managed to restore order. The situation is now under control. We are now waiting for a ruling by the supreme court on the presidential elections. But the question still remains why these armed men attacked south of Brazzaville and who sent these men. That's the question we are asking?" Moungalla said.

Follow us on

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Instagram

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Wechat