Edition: English | 中文简体 | 中文繁体 Монгол
Homepage > World Video

Death toll from capsized migrant boat rises to 177

Reporter: Adel EL Mahrouky 丨 CCTV.com

09-28-2016 12:43 BJT

A week has passed since a boat carrying around 600 migrants sank off Egypt's coastline. And dozens of friends and families are still waiting for their relatives' remains. Authorities confirmed the boat has been recovered but said some people are still unaccounted for.

At the same time, people are upset over the Egyptian President's remarks about illegal migrants.

Dozens sit all day long on the shore where the Nile River meets the sea. As each fishing boat returns from the Mediterranean, they hope their relatives' bodies are on board.

Criticism of how authorities have managed this crisis has been mounting. Dozens of people, tired of waiting for answers, have stormed this military base. After hearing that the boat had been recovered from the seabed, more friends and relatives have joined them.

There are at least a-hundred migrants still missing. People here believe they were trapped inside the vessel when it went down.

Army boats have descended upon Rasheed bringing piles of body bags and ice to preserve the victims' remains.
When they started to arrive, chaos broke out, as relatives rushed to identify the bodies.

"I just want to find my nephew - dead or alive - because I've had enough of this misery," said Ragab Al Askandarani, uncle of victim.

On Monday, President el-Sisi lashed out at young people who tried to head to Europe in search of greener pastures. He maintains there are plenty of jobs available in Egypt. His remarks have angered many here.

"Instead of making these comments, why doesn't he show us the projects he's created? He should come and say: Bring me your young people to run these projects. Then we'd send them," said Ahmed Shaalan, uncle of victim.

"I had seven relatives on this boat. They left because there is nothing for them here. I earn 10 dollars and have to live on it for days. People will still travel after this accident. If I get a chance, I'll go. We're hungry, we want to work and feed our children," said Mohamed Said, brother of victim.

To date, this is the worst migrant tragedy on record in Egypt. And the death toll is still rising.

Follow us on

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Instagram

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Wechat