Edition: English | 中文简体 | 中文繁体 Монгол
Homepage > World Video

20 injured, over 200 policemen held hostage in militant attack in SW Pakistan


10-25-2016 06:09 BJT

Related reading:

ISLAMABAD, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- At least 20 people including policemen and security personnel were injured and over 200 others held hostage by unknown militants in an attack in Quetta, southwest Pakistan on Monday night.

According to Sarfaraz Bugti,Interior Minister of Pakistan's soutwest province of Balochistan, at least 20 people injured including 18 policemen and two security personnel were brought to a hospital where two of the injured were in critical condition.

Majority of the injured so far suffered fracture injuries after they jumped out of the windows of their room in a hostel of the training center, the official said.

Pakistani armys Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the incident took place when around five to six terrorists entered from the backyard of the Police Training College at the Saryab Road area of Quetta, capital of Pakistans southwest province of Balochistan.

Following the attack, personnel of Pakistani army and Frontier Corps, a paramilitary force, reached the site and cordoned off the training center and have launched an operation against the terrorists, said Bugti.

Exchange of intense firing has been heard since the contingents of army and Frontier Corps entered the training center and started the operation to neutralize the terrorists, who have held 200-250 police personnel hostage in a hostel of the training center, said Bugti.

Terrorists are also hurdling hand grenades at the armored vehicles of the security forces, local media said.

Local reports said that at least two terrorists wearing suicide explosives laden jackets have held the policemen hostage in the dinning hall of the hostel.

An injured policeman, who was rescued by the army commandos, said that the terrorists are wearing suicide jackets, while one of them have blown himself up.

An eyewitness police trainee said, we were sleeping in our room when we heard firing, we rushed out, I saw two terrorists were firing at another room, I ran to the roof of the hostel and from there I managed to come out.

According to police sources, at least 700 police personnel including trainees and instructors were present in the center when the attack took place.

Authorities have declared a state of emergency in all hospitals in Quetta and appealed to public for blood donations.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack and said the terrorist cannot demoralize the nation with such coward attack and that the countrys ongoing war on terror will be taken to a logical end.

Follow us on

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Instagram

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Wechat