Edition: English | 中文简体 | 中文繁体 Монгол
Homepage > China

Search continues for the missing in boat accident in Malaysia

Editor: Wang Lingxiao 丨Xinhua

02-01-2017 11:29 BJT

KOTA KINABALU, Malaysia, Jan. 31 (Xinhua) -- Search efforts continued on Tuesday for the missing people in a boat accident off Malaysia's Sabah state on North Borneo.

The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency said the operations would cover 3,000 square nautical miles with planes and ships from the agency as well as Malaysian navy and air force, as neighboring Brunei also sent planes and ships to search its waters.

Adam Aziz, a regional official of the agency, said the search and rescue personnel were rushing the golden hours of finding the missing. "We will continue the operation and step up the search efforts," he said.

Sabah police chief Ramli Din said the latest investigation put the figure of the missing at six, including five tourists and one crewman. One survivor had brought his wife and daughter but only his name were registered, he said. The two remained unaccounted for.

Police also found that one passenger was listed twice, he said.

It was first reported that the boat was carrying 28 Chinese tourists and three crew members, when the boat sank off Sabah on Saturday. Twenty tourists and two crew members have been rescued so far.

Police said Monday that one tourist had registered for the trip but didn't get on board. There's possibilities of more changes on the number of the missing, Ramli said.

China's Consulate General in Kota Kinabalu said they were notified but the new figure needed to be further verified.

Follow us on

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Instagram

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Wechat