News Hour > Homepage > News > 


2009-09-24 12:14 BJT

Special Report: 60th Anniversary of PRC |

Watch Video

Play Video

Taiwan is located between the South China Sea and the East China Sea, off the eastern coast of the mainland. The city of Taipei is the island's political and economic center.

China's largest island has an area of nearly 36-thousand square kilometers and a population of about 23 million. About 98 percent of the population is Han Chinese. The remaining 2 percent are other ethnic groups.

Taiwan's rapid industrialization during the latter half of the 20th century has been called the "Taiwan Miracle". Its GDP growth has averaged about eight percent during the past three decades. Taiwan's 101 tower, the world's tallest building, symbolizes the island's booming economy.

Exports have provided the primary impetus for industrialization. The mainland is the island's number one destination for direct outbound investment. Taiwan and the mainland's economic interdependence has been boosted by recently-opened cross-strait travel, transportation and tourism links.

Taiwan's culture represents an eclectic mix of traditional Chinese culture, Confucianism beliefs and increasingly globalized values.

Taiwan is one of Asia's must-see destinations. The island's imposing mountains, scenic coastlines and therapeutic hot springs provide a rewarding experience for tourists in search of relaxation.

Editor: Liu Anqi | Source: