News Hour > Homepage > News > 

Green report: China's climate commitment & stand

2009-12-06 13:56 BJT

Special Report: UN climate change conference in Copenhagen |


Political leaders from around the world will meet in Copenhagen, seeking solutions to better cope with climate change. Experts say that, as the world's biggest developing country and carbon dioxide emitter, China has shown tremendous political will and commitment in addressing the issue.

Meanwhile, China will stick to consensus already built among international community in climate change negotiations. Liu Ying reports.

Ten days ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, China made a commitment to the international community to curb its carbon emissions. The goal is to reduce carbon emissions per unit of GDP by 40 to 45 percent by 2020, compared with 2005 levels.

Experts say this is a major step toward tackling the climate change.

Qi Ye, Director of Climate Policy, Inst., Tsinghua Univ., said, "This is a major cut in carbon intensity. It's also a major commitment for building the momentum for Copenhagen. (441502) If you look at 40 to 45 percent cut in carbon intensity, for the 15 years we may expect to see just proximately five billion tons of CO2 emission reduction. That's a huge amount. Just about twice as much of carbon emission of entire country of India."

Qi Ye says China will adhere to the stand of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol. This requires developed countries to cut carbon emissions by at least 40 percent by 2020, from 1990 levels. China will also firmly stick to the "common but differentiated responsibility" principle in climate change negotiations.

Qi Ye, Director of Climate Policy, Inst., Tsinghua Univ., said, "These principles are fair treatment, taken into account reality in the history, reality now. After all, 80% of all CO2 released into the atmosphere came from developed counties, the other 20% from developing country. That's why that's fair, justifiable to stick to the principle of common but differentiated responsibility."

Technical and financial support from developed countries will be a major concern for developing nations. The European Union estimates that, by 2020, about 100 billion euros will be needed each year for developing countries to curb greenhouse gas emissions, and cope with the global warming.