Edition: English | Español Français العربية Pусский | 中文简体 中文繁体 Монгол
Homepage > Sports Video

China aims for continued search for Guo Chuan

CCTV.com

10-27-2016 19:36 BJT

The US Coast Guard says it has suspended its search in the Pacific Ocean for the Chinese sailor Guo Chuan.

Rescuers boarded Guo's drifting yacht at west of Hawaii and confirmed he was not there but found his lifejacket. They also found a broken sail in the water.

51-year-old Guo Chuan was the first Chinese person to circumnavigate the globe alone. He set off from San Francisco on October 18 aiming to set a new solo non-stop trans-Pacific world record.

His team lost contact with him on Tuesday afternoon Beijing time. China's Foreign Ministry says it is coordinating with the US Coastguard over search effort.

"The Chinese consulate in Los Angeles contacted the US coast guard's search and rescue centre in Hawaii, and is coordinating with them to conduct an all-out search. Since then, the US has sent search planes and two ships into the Pacific to conduct search operations. Up to now, Guo Chuan has not been found. The Chinese foreign ministry and the Chinese consulate in LA will closely monitor developments and will continue to coordinate relevant search efforts," said Lu Kang, spokesperson of Chinese foreign ministry.

Follow us on

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Instagram

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Wechat